According to the Rigvedas, Varanasi is the favorite city of Lord Shiva. So in his high reverence, the Kashi Vishwanath temple stands in its splendor. It holds one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva and attracts a large number of pilgrims to the site. The architecture of the temple is noteworthy and is also known as the Golden Temple, because of the gold used in the making of the tall spire and the dome. All devoted Hindus aspire to visit this site once before they die, for they believe that liberation from worldly thing can be achieved here.
Along the western banks of holy river Ganga, lies the Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh State, India. It is located 5 km away from the Varanasi railway station and is fairly close to the Banaras Hindu University. Varanasi is the oldest city in the country and serves as the center for the Hindu religion.
How to reach in Varanasi:
Best time to visit in Varanasi:
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple is the most popular temple among the Hindus, placed in the holiest Hindu place too, and the main deity is addressed as Vishwanatha or Vishweshwara, which means, ruler of the World.
- The temple has been demolished and reconstructed many times, the last was torn down by Aurangzeb and he started a mosque on the site.
- The temple preserves one of the twelve Jyotirlingams, it is considered very holy and believed that even a glance of Jyotilinga delivers liberation from Maya and materialistic entanglements.
- According to a legend, the Jyotilingam is basically a pointless reality, from where Lord Shiva appears, more like a column of light.
- It is believed that originally there were 64 Jyotilingas, only 12 of them are considered holy. The 12 Jyotilingams are at Gujarat, Somnath, Malikajurna, MAhakaleshwar, two in Madhya Pradesh, Andra Pradesh, two in Maharashtra, Varanasi, Himalayas and in Tamil Nadu.
- The Kashi Vishwanath Temple holds the highest of Hindu spiritual values.The Manikarnika Ghat on the banks of the Ganges, close to the temple is considered as a Shakti Peetha, a holy place for worship for the sect called Shaktism.
- The temple complex consists of several other shrines, placed along a small lane called the Vishwanatha Galli.However the main temple is ornamented by the shrines of other gods. The temple has a 15.5 m high gold spire and gold dome, three domes made up of pure gold.
- Inside the temple is a small, well, called Jnana Vapi, it is believed that the Jyotilingam was hidden in this well, to protect from the invaders.
- Around 3000 visitors come to the Kashi Vishwanath everyday.
- There is a popular belief that Shiva himself chants some words of salvation into the ears of people who choose to end their lives at the Vishwanath temple.
- Visit the Temples, it is an obvious thing you will do once you are in Varanasi, enjoy the evening Aarti in the temple.
- The Ghats along the Ganges.
- Sarnath is near Varanasi, and it is where the Lord Buddha preached his first sermon.
Golden Temple in Amritsar
Somnath Temple in Gujarat
Siddhivinayak Temple in Mumbai
Kedarnath Temple in Uttarakhand
Sun Temple in Konark
Mahabodhi Temple in BodhGaya
Jagannatha Temple in Puri
Top 10 Temples of India
Top 10 Heritage Caves Temples in India